Sakhi: Barefoot Negotiators for Equal Rights for Women
The project aims to enhance the capacity of women and identified support groups like SHGs, Mahila Mandal, PRI members, Sahyata Kendra’s etc. on advocacy and lobbying to address violence against women and facilitating political participation of women at all levels of governance. In this project, violence against women is seen as an issue that is based on the existing power relations, interpretation of masculinity and patriarchy that govern relationship between man and women.
- The district administration and other stakeholders have started listening to the problems of the women in the working area. Coordination among different stakeholders in the district has strengthened.
- 50 per cent women in the PRIs created an opportunity to provide support structure to respond to violence, through the strengthening the women representatives.
- The Sakhi Group i.e 10 women from 10 different villages came together to form pressure groups in each village and have been trained to work as grassroots advocates on VAW. They are working as pressure groups since the project initiation in Khunti, Jharkhand.
- Women associated in the form of groups, their life has been transformed gradually through awareness and empowerment.
Skill/Livelihood Training and Placement
The project has the aim of providing skill development training to the girls of Jharkhand. The project gives an opportunity to the girls who want to earn and improve their livelihood. The project is mainly focused on the girls who are Survivor of trafficking, Vulnerable girls/ women, who are migrate from Jharkhand, the tribal families with no source of regular income, tribal youths who are in search of livelihood or are migrated to different places or are lured into extremism. The age limit for the training is 18 years to 35 years. The project is started from December 2018.
The objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity of unemployed youths, survivors of trafficking and vulnerable girls in Jharkhand to improve their livelihood
- 25 candidates trained in the trade of female security guards.
- A program “Swalamban Betiya” was organized by BKS. The program was dedicated to the girls and made every women self sufficient.
- Oath taking ceremony held on 11th March 2019 in a program namely ‘Badlao ke liye nayi soch’ at Swabhiman Kendra, Bijupara. The program was dedicated to women empowerment and 1200 women did participate in the program.
After completion of the training, trainees were placed in different offices as a security guard. One of the girls was also placed in BKS as a CHILDLINE volunteer.